Gardening is expected to be a costlier hobby if you buy all plants as potted. However, many ornamental plants and vegetables begin from seeds, which is not so expensive a method, and you can stuff your garden.
Fortunately, various types of annual flowers and vegetables can be quickly grown from seeds. Perennial plants are challenging to grow from seeds. Planting a seed of many vegetables and attractive flowers can make the process cheaper.
What exactly mean by planting a seed? It’s an act of setting things in motion, which helps you create a life that you desire to lead. Planting a seed in your garden makes the gardening process easier and cheaper, as you don’t have to buy the potted plants from a nursery. During planting a seed, if proper care is not taken, then it can affect your health.
Various fast-growing seeds are easily planted in the garden, but some seeds cannot reach maturity if grown outdoors during cold weather. And planting a full garden can be viewed as overwhelming and stuffed with anxiety; you have to start by planting a seed. Take proper care of these seeds as one day they will sprout into a green leafy thing.
Determining the proper depth of planting a seed
Planting seed at the correct depth enhances the seed’s chances of transforming into hard seedlings and also increases germination rates. Depth of seed planting varies according to the type and size of seeds. The seed packet also instructs seed depth – how deep the seed can be buried.
The basic wisdom of gardening advises not to plant any seed deeper twice than its diameter. Many seed packets show a quarter-inch depth that is very deep for small seeds. Follow these guidelines to have it done-
● Put the seeds only at a depth of seed’s twice diameter. For instance, if the seed is ⅙ inch thick, then plant the seed almost ⅓ inch deep.
● In the case of tiny seeds, keep the seeds on the soil’s surface and cover them with soil.
● Remember not to compress the soil that is at the top of seeds while planting. Instead, the soil should be kept firm.
If the seeds are planted too deep, it will result in a lower germination rate and weak seedlings. So, it is recommended to check the planting depth properly on the seed packet.
Reading the seed packets.
Information given on the backside of the seed packet helps you in planting a seed. The instructions tell about the seed’s nature and tell about what conditions are needed during growing and germination. Some of the important ones are.
● Many packages give information about planting time. For instance, for tomatoes, the perfect time to grow is during a cold climate. For fast-growing seeds, there is no indoor growing.
● The packets tell about days to maturity – how long the plant will take to produce flowers and fruits. For example, many plants of tomatoes take 100 days to attain maturity.
● The package gives information if seeds require more light or less light. If indoor planting and more light, you need to place the plant where light comes appropriately.
● The information on the seed packet tells about the optimum soil temperature that is essential for seed germination. It also implies that some seeds can grow well in ordinary soil, while many seeds need porous and fine-grained soil. Seeds that require a 70° temperature will grow indoors.
Apart from this information, the seed packet gives other information like fertilizing requirements, depth of planting, techniques of transplanting, and much more.
Don’t forget this while planting a seed
Do you want to know how vegetables and ornamental plants can be grown from seed? For this, you need to know some tips for planting a seed, as seed planting and growing of plants from seeds are not easy tasks. Therefore, here are some tricks or tips so that your seeds get a healthy start.
1. Make a record of doing better planning
If you are planting vegetables and flowers, maintenance of the planting record can prove beneficial. Make a record of seed sowing time, date of germination, success rate, and when the seedlings will be ready for transplanting every year.
With the help of these records, you can make certain adjustments for the coming year to make sure that plants are grown under proper conditions.
2. Store the seeds in a proper way
Seeds are very fragile, and if seeds are not treated properly, their viability becomes low. Even after storing the seeds with proper care, some seeds lose viability. Place the seeds in a dark, cool area with low humidity to maintain dormancy.
3. Always use flat and wide containers
Rather than clay pots, plastic containers or pots are preferable for planting a seed, as they consistently retain moisture. Wide containers help in preventing overcrowding of seeds also prevents too much moisture around fragile roots. Make sure to use a clean pathogen-free container.
4. Press seeds downwards
Make the seeds go downwards so that they can come in contact with the soil properly. Then, with the help of a sieve, make the soil even over the seeds. Every seed should be in tight contact with a moist surface so that it can germinate properly. Then, through a pestle, softly tamp the surface. This will give answer to how long for seeds to germinate in soil.
planting seeds in pot
Planting a seed in pots is an awesome way to start an indoor garden, or you can plant seeds that can be transplanted later into the garden. Seeds planting in pots is not a difficult task, but the task requires proper attention and planning so that your plant can propagate well. Let’s learn how to plant seeds in a pot.
● Firstly, prepare to plant the seeds. For that, you need containers and soil. The container size should be big so that overcrowding is prohibited. Next, choose the soil which is best for growing seeds. Proper holes should be there in pots for proper drainage.
● Then fill the containers with the pre-damped mix for almost two-third. Now, tap the pot or container so that the mix settles. Remember not to pack the mix tightly.
● Then comes the step of planting a seed and read all necessary instructions on the packet. Use of three seeds should be done per container, sprinkle small seeds on top of the mix, and plant large seeds individually.
● Then cover seeds with more potting mix and softly firm the soil. Small seeds require less amount of soil for covering.
● The soil is pre-dampened from before, but it would be great if you sprinkle additional water. By this, the topsoil would not go dry and makes the potting mix firm.
● Provide proper temperature, humidity, and light so that seedlings can germinate well. Cover the containers with clear plastic as it helps in holding moisture and heat. Place the pots or containers in a warm and dark area and regularly check on the pots.
● When you see an emerging seed, quickly remove the plastic and place the containers into indirect sunlight. Remember, the mixture does not become too wet. Also, be sure that the seedlings are getting proper air circulation.
● When the seedlings start to poke out from the soil, you need to place the seedlings in a light source. Seedlings require around 12 – 18 hours of sunlight every day.
● While the seedling is growing in a soilless mix, you need to feed it. For feeding purposes, use a good fertilizer or a substance that is rich in potassium and nitrogen. Fed the seedlings every two weeks with utmost care.
● When the seedlings convert into healthy plants, it’s time to shift them outdoors. First but, introduce the plants with new conditions before shifting. Then, slowly, increase the outdoor time so that the plants can bear outdoor conditions.
What do you learn about life by planting seeds?
Sometimes life becomes so challenging and hectic that you get confused about what to do. Life is just like a seedling. Learning how does a plant grow step by step can give you a lot of insight. Are you the one who has suffered very much in your life? But, not now! Just get out from your past and plant a seed in your life of positivity. Planting a seed inside you can gear you up.
Firstly, start by planting a seed of faith inside you, add other seeds and take proper seeds. If you take it with real life, you will succeed in your every work with these small plantings. Nothing is more wonderful and exciting to see your seed turning into blossom. Let’s ponder upon some points that describe life when you start to plant seeds in your life.
1. Indeed take a lot of time to grow.
To create a blooming garden, many months are required. But, by focusing on positive things and viewing tiny seeds sprouting from the earth in the form of something great, it is easy to view the achievement that you are making in your life’s journey to live life in your way.
2.A seed does not remain the same forever.
If it is nourished with proper light, soil, and water, the seeds start changing their shape and becoming what they are meant to be. Just like a seed, you should also change with the going time. If you genuinely want to experience positive changes, forget about the past and be thankful for the transformation in your life. Be confident about your better form; even the change takes time.
3.When a seed is transformed and starts to bloom
Everyone fantasizes seed’s beauty and appreciates it for everything it offers, whether it be a flower or a vegetable. With the help of time and transformation, every seed has something to contribute. So, like this, only plant seeds in your life, however hard it is. With patience, hard work, and sometimes the lonely plot will be stuffed with beauty and confidence. In this way, your life will attract the correct people who help you make your life worthwhile.
Q1. Does the way of planting seed matter?
A big No is a perfect answer to this question. This is because seed planting does not matter, as, in whatever way it is planted, the root will take itself towards the downwards direction towards gravity. This helps in enhancing germination rates.
Q2. Does deep planting of seed matter?
A piece of proper information is given on how deep should a seed should be planted. The rule implies plant seeds at a depth that need to be equal to three times their width. So, instead of planting a seed too deep, plant it shallow.
Q3. Is it possible to put seeds into the soil directly?
Grow seeds directly into outdoor soil, and this act is known as direct sowing. An easy task to perform that gives better results. Many herbs, annuals, vegetables, and perennials grow with ease from seeds sewn directly into the soil.
Q4. Is it essential to soak seeds just before planting?
Yes, it is recommended to soak most of the seeds only for 12 – 24 hours and not more than that. After this process, the seeds are ready for direct planting in soil. In addition, this step of soaking before plantation helps in reducing germination time, which means you can acquire healthy plants faster.