Broccoli is an incredibly nutritious green vegetable and closely related to cauliflower and cabbage. It contains many nutritions that include fibre, vitamin c, minerals, vitamin k, iron, and potassium.
Nowadays, Eat organic vegetables have become a trend as they are fresh and free of harmful chemicals. It is the best alternate for obsessed with eating organic, growing vegetables at home or in the garden. So, with some simple and easy steps, you can learn how to grow broccoli in your garden.
You will have to choose a suitable climate to grow broccoli crops with sun exposure around 6-8 hours daily to grow up properly. It requires a cold season that should not be above 24C. These crops can bear the coldest temperature of -6C.
Broccoli is easy to grow but needs lots of patience because it takes so much time taking. Proper sun exposure and cold weather are the secrets to making a good broccoli crop. Hot weather will affect the broccoli crop and its development.
So, always plan to grow broccoli crops in late winters or early seasons of spring. With some steps and proper dedication, you can learn how to grow broccoli.
Everyone can grow broccoli with interest in gardening and have proper knowledge of planting. The quality of soil should be perfect as it is the main thing which helps a plant to grow. Fertility and moisture must be present in the soil, and water drainage should be there as well.
The pH level of the soil should be between 6.0-7.0 and acidic as well. With the help of some steps, you can allow yourself to become a pro in gardening.
In the guide of how to grow broccoli, the first step is all about making plans. Think about a suitable place where you can grow broccoli crops at ease, and choose suitable weather.
Prepare a space to sow broccoli crops, plan how to sow them, and do its care, harvesting, and storage of the broccoli. These steps are as follow:
Steps- how to grow broccoli
Broccoli crops prefer a sunny place. So, keep ensuring to make a proper place to plant a broccoli crop. Choose where plenty of sunlight is available because these crops need around 6-7 hours sun exposure to grow well, and always choose the low-temperature weather for this crop.
1. Prepare soil for planting the broccoli.
You have to ensure the soil of the garden is properly fertilized or not. If not, you will have to add good quality compost to increase its fertility so that the broccoli crop grows well. The ph balance should be between 6.0 -7.0. It is the perfect ph balance for soil to sow the broccoli crop. Now, we can understand the context of how to grow broccoli.
2. Sow the broccoli seeds.
The next step is sowing the seeds of broccoli. You will have to sow the seeds inside the soil around half-inch deep. The gap between the other cropping should be 3-4 inches.
When seedling grows up to 2-3 inches, thin them to make the proper space between the crops, and these are 12-20 inches. When they start to grow, transplant them to another area with 3-4 inch spacing. This is another idea to learn how to grow broccoli.
3. Care of seedlings.
Always water broccoli crop with enough water. Transplant the broccoli crops when they reach the height of 2-4 inches to another place or garden. Fertilize the crops again after transplanting the seedlings of a garden. Keep thinning the plants so that proper space should be garden and avoid the closeness of plants.
Sometimes broccoli heads started rotting because of so much watering, so avoid too much sprinkling water the head of the plants. Keep removing the weeds and useless plants to keep proper space. Save plants from pests and use pesticides if possible or use any cover to protect plants.
4. Care of broccoli from Pests and diseases.
It is the most pivotal role in how to grow broccoli steps to save your loving crop from pests and other diseases. Pests or insects can attack your crop at any time and may spoil them. So, you will have to keep a sharp eye and check the crop from time to time.
Pests and their diseases will always bother you as it is very natural on vegetables. So, prepare yourself to overcome these types of problems without worrying.
For this context of how to grow broccoli, understand their diseases and pest.
Some diseases and pests to care for:
There are some signs of these diseases and pests, that can be identified easily.
- If the leaves of broccoli started to wrap, it means the insects are present there, and they are sucking the leaves of the broccoli. Aphids are the main insects behind it. There are two ideas to get rid of these pests. Firstly, use soapy water all over the crop. Secondly, you can use good pesticides. Soapy water is a homemade pesticide that works well as other pesticides, and it saves money also.
- The next problem is also crucial when you are learning how to grow broccoli. The leaves started being yellow from the bottom to upward. It means the plant is affected by low nitrogen deficiency. You will need to fertilize them again to fix the problem of low nitrogen.
- Sometimes, tiny holes are visible on the plants’ leaves, it happens due to the caterpillar’s attack on broccoli crops. You need pesticides for your plant and use row covers to prevent the caterpillars.
- While learning how to grow broccoli, Clubroot is also a disease that affects a crop. In these diseases, the entire plant started to wilt due to fungus in the soil. In this situation, you will have to uproot the whole plant quickly so that this disease does not spread to other plants. You should clean the soil, and add good fertilizer to the soil, and raise the ph balance of the soil to get rid of these diseases.
- Avoid getting yellow patches on the broccoli’s leaves, due to extra moisture. so try to keep leaves dry.
These are the steps to be taken while learning how to grow broccoli in its own space.
When to harvest in how to grow broccoli
In this step, you will be able to know when we should harvest the broccoli crop. There are some signs you should keep an eye on them so that you cut the broccoli crop on time without rotting them.
When the broccoli heads turn dark green, and the small buds are visible, so this means the broccoli crop is suitable for harvesting. The head of broccoli becomes tight and firm to touch. When you pay attention to these signs, you can learn easily how to grow broccoli. then you will know that the broccoli crop became ready to harvest.
After the crop is ready, you will have to harvest the crop immediately at that time otherwise, the crop is expected to deteriorate, and it may develop bitterness.
So, watch the broccoli crop carefully, and when you see the first sign of the ripening of the crop, harvest immediately.
Tips to get more broccoli from one plant:
In the how to grow broccoli context, you should learn about how to get more broccoli out there. When you cut the main head of the broccoli, the side shoots remain left on the plant, and they continue to grow even after cutting the main head. The smaller head continues to mature.
So take good care of the small head of the broccoli plant so that you can get one or two extra heads of the broccoli crop out of one plant. Follow the same guidelines with the other heads of the plant to get one or two broccoli heads from one plant.
Harvesting the broccoli crops:
When your broccoli crop has been ready, the next is to harvest the broccoli crop. Always choose morning time because this time heads of the broccoli are fresh and firm. Choose the yellowish heads first as they are ready to harvest. If you delay cutting at the same time, the quality of the broccoli may decrease. You will have to remember these things when learning how to grow broccoli.
Remember to cut the heads of the broccoli crop 6 inches from the stem. Always use a sharp knife to cut the heads of the plant. Use a slant cut on the stalk as it allows the water to slide away from the stems. In case, you will not do the same, the water may pool on the plant’s stems and rot the remaining crops of the broccoli. So, always make a slant cut so that the extra water slide away.
The next step, learning how to grow broccoli, is going to be very important because now we are going to get the sweet fruit of our hard work.
Storage of the broccoli crop
There are two methods to store broccoli:
- Short term storage method
- Long term storage method
Let,s talk about those two methods briefly to get a good grip on learning how to grow broccoli.
Short term storage method (it is a suitable method for those who have less amount of broccoli crop)
- You can store broccoli through this method for about five to seven days. Just put the head of the broccoli in the water. Keep sure the stems will be downward, and the main head face upward. It looks like a bouquet.
- Another option is to wrap the broccoli in a wet paper towel, you need to spray some water on the head of broccoli and wrap it in the dampened paper towel, and put them in the refrigerator. It will remain fresh for about three days.
- Another method is also very simple to keep them fresh. Put the broccoli in plastic bags and poke some holes on plastic bags, then put these bags in the refrigerator to keep them fresh for about a week.
- Also read– Know 7 best affordable lawn sprinklers to buy for your yard
Long term method (if you have a lot of broccoli)
In this method of how to grow broccoli, you can store your broccoli crop for about a whole year or so. You have to blanch the broccoli.
For blanching, you need boiled and ice-cold water. Trim the extra stems of the broccoli, then boil for about 3 minutes. After boiling water, drain the excess hot water and immediately soak them in ice-cold water for about 3 minutes. Keep stirring them so that all the broccoli come in contact with ice-cold water.
After 3 minutes, strain the water and allow it to dry. Dry it properly, and transfer it to airtight bags and remove the excess air. Shift these bags to the deep freezer. You can store broccoli in a cold and moist place, 0-4*c. The place of storing broccoli should be relatively humid around 95 percent.
With this process, you can store your broccoli crop for a whole year.
It is a big challenge to store broccoli crops while how to grow broccoli because the crop might be rotten easily. So always keep them in such a place that is cool as well as relatively humid.
If you like this article and wish to read more like this so kindly go through